NYC is world renown for its tap water. Having an apartment with access to such pristine mountain water can be a highlight in a New Yorker’s life. To ensure that your drinking water is continually accessible, it’s important to maintain pipe integrity. This means avoiding blockages or floods. Complied below is a list of plumbing tips for the NYC area that will ultimately help you maintain access to water, limit floods, and avoid calling an emergency plumber in NYC.
- Use a live enzyme as a plumbing product to clear clogs in server lines. Live enzyme products use bacteria cultures to promote anaerobic bacterial growth, which causes them to eat waste that may be lodged in the pipes.
- In case of a bad leak, make sure that you are aware of the location of your water main shut off valve. If you can get to the main in time, you can limit the amount of water that leaks into your apartment.
- Similar to the water main valve, be aware of the placements of stop valves on individual sinks and toilets. If a toilet or sink floods, you can stop water from flowing by turning the stop valve.
- Make sure that you are aware of galvanized water lines. Over time, these pipes can corrode, rust shut, or get stuffed with debris. You may want to consider replacing this archaic system with a copper alternative.
- Avoid buying cheap fixtures. Although they may seem to save you money in the short term, cheap fixtures have a greater tendency to break, which will ultimately lead to the need of expensive plumbing services
- Limit the amount of starch products from going down your sink drain or garbage disposal. When these food wastes start to degrade, they transform into a thick paste that clogs waterways.
- Repair small problems early! If a leaky faucet is present in your home, you will want to alleviate the problem as soon as possible; the continual presence of moisture can cause mildew and bacteria to grow in the pipes. Also, water bills are increased due to the ever-present dripping. Although it may look incremental and small, you could actually be losing gallons a day from a leaky faucet.
- Make sure to keep your pipes safe from winter temperatures. During the colder months, pipes can freeze if they are not properly heated. Freezing water expands within the pipes, which can cause them to burst and create an utter plumbing catastrophe. Make sure the pipes are well insulated, and occasionally run hot water through the system to warm the lines.